Ivan Marchuk was born in a family of a weaver. He studied applied art in Lviv till 1965. Later he worked in Kyiv. In 1989 he left USSRand lived in the United States, Canada and Australia, where he became renowned. After the September 11, 2001 attacks which he saw, Marchuk returned to Kiev. Not having been valued in the Soviet Union, Marchuk was well accepted in the independent Ukraineobtaining a prestigious T. Shevchenko award in 1997. A museum of Ivan Marchuk is planned to be constructed in Kiev.Read more
People’s Artist of Ukraine, laureate of T.Shevchenko National award, prize-winner of the All-Ukrainian contest «Man of the Year-2003», holder of the list «100 great people of Ukraine» compiled by the country’s mass media.
In 2006 he joined the «Golden Guild» within International Academy of Modern Art in Rome as the «maestro of the highest prestige, who has written the most beautiful page in the history of modern art». In October 2007, a reputable London newspaper The Daily Telegraph published a list of «100 geniuses now living in the world», a survey carried out among British population by the global consulting company Creators Synectics based in Great Britain. Ivan Marchuk, the only one from Ukraine, was assigned number 72 on the list.
• From 1980 to 1989, without any official recognition and admission to the Union of Artists, he was arranging exhibitions in various institutions and organizations, such as, for instance, in the Art department of the National Library of the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. At the same time he is distinguished as an informal leader of the Ukrainian art underground.
• In 1989 he immigrated to Australia, then he moved to Canada and finally to the United States.
• In 1990 – Marchuk visited Ukraine and opened his first official exhibition in Kyiv, in the Ukrainian State Art Museum of Fine Arts (now – National Art Museum of Ukraine).
• In 1997 he became the laureate of T.Shevchenko National award.
• In 2001 Marchuk settled permanently in Ukraine.
• In 2006 the International Academy of Modern Art in Rome admitted Ivan Marchuk to the «Golden Guild» and elected him an honorary member of the Scientific Council of the Academy. It was the first recognition of the Ukrainian artist by the institution of such a high level. Today there are 51 artists from all over the world who are members of «Golden Guild».
• In 2007 according to the British paper The Daily Telegraph Ivan Marchuk was called a genius of nowadays among hundreds of prominent figures of our time (72 place).
• From 1979 to 2007 Ivan Marchuk held more than 60 personal exhibitions, among them:
1991 – Ukrainian Center, Philadelphia, USA
1992 – Gallery «13», New York, USA
1993 – Gallery «SAVAH», Sydney, Australia
1999 – Gallery of the city municipality, Lille, France
• 2005 – Exhibition devoted to the 40th anniversary of the artist’s creative work, «Ukrainian House», Kyiv
• 2006 – Cultural Bridge Kyiv-Paris «Strings of Sadness and Hope». The simultaneous exhibitions dedicated to the 20th anniversary of Chernobyl tragedy, «Ukrainian House» (Kyiv, Ukraine), the Cultural Center, Embassy of Ukraine in Paris and UNESCO (France)
• 2007 – Kyiv Museum of Russian Art
• 2008 – Kyiv Museum of Russian Art, «The Way Home» (exhibition of landscapes of different years).